Wednesday 6 February 2008

The Injection Method and FOOD!

Mmmm, that Ham cob was nice! I’ve just finished eating one pre-prepared before mum left earlier! Tea looked minging so I didn’t even attempt it tonight! Though my dinner was pretty ok – a beef and onion pie. Also had the large concoction of tablets I take before bedtime plus the cough medicine which makes my teeth go all sensitive for some bizarre reason! The food here is ok actually, I think the steroids mean I’ll eat pretty much whatever is in front of me but still I don’t find it as bad as I have done in the past! This morning was met by a great surprise, freshly cooked toast! My only real complaint with food has been breakfast - usually the toast is cold by the time I get it and I just have to force it down so I’m eating something but this morning – Amazing stuff - it was all freshly made and you could like actually taste the butter! Incredible! Small things please in here and it was a pleasant surprise to wake up too! Lol! I still snack on chocolate digestives and lots of Maltesers though! Great stuff! And I’m back on the sandwiches and ham cobs (rolls or whatever u wanna call them!).

Anyway enough about food I think for one day – gosh you can tell I’m on steroids can’t you! My internet is really peeing me off, I got such a god signal in my old room and this one is crap! It just disconnects all the damn time! I hope it improves a bit. I might fiddle about it with a bit tomorrow; see if I can’t figure out a better position for it or something. Also they talked about another wireless connection for me so I might ask about that! I should be grateful I can get anything I guess but after almost a week of great connection, now having these probs is really frustrating and it’s the little things that do frustrate you in here!

Anyway today Debbie Hollingworth came to see me from school and it was really great to see her, I really appreciate people making the effort to come and I loved the muffins, scarf and cream for my itch!! My aunty and uncle also came and it was also great to see them and although they weren’t allowed to bring in the flowers they bought me the thought was there and I do appreciate it!! Sadly Claire was ill and couldn’t come so I was disappointed but I wish her a speedy recovery and I’m sure she’ll be on her way here with Maltesers someday soon!! (No hints there Claire by the way ;P). We talked about normal stuff and about the medical situation etc and it was a welcome distraction from well hospital I guess and I just enjoyed the extra company! Sooty is coming tomorrow so I am looking forward to that!

I had my second day of chemo today. Again no side effects though I am noticing I’m getting more tired in the day, whether that be lack of sleep at night or chemo tiredness kicking in or a mixture of both I’m unsure but apart from that I’ve been lucky and no major issues so far! The nurses are all still great and the doctors popped in to check how I was doing so that was all good.

I had my ‘belly injection’ which is actually called Clexane again today. My poor tummy is so sore from all the little pricks (lol that sounds very bad but how else do I put it??!). And I have 2 bruises!

There are 4 methods of doing this injection and I’m gonna be boring and take you through them!

There’s number one which is the ‘Fast Dart Player’ - the nurse almost throws the injection into you like a dart and pushes the stuff in fast- the end result it that you don’t feel the prick of the injection but the stuff stings as its going in and afterwards a lot!

There’s number two which is the ‘Slow Dart Player’ - the injection is inserted in the same way, like a dart, all quick and to the point but the stuff is pushed in slowly and as a result you get the sting afterwards but not as its going in!

Number three is ‘The Artist’ - they put the injection in slowly and the stuff in slowly, you feel the injection a bit more but you don’t get the sting as it goes in though as always you get it afterwards…the bad side is that it takes longer to go in as well!

And finally number 4 is ‘The Fast Artist’ who puts the injection in slowly which you feel more, then injects the stuff fast so you feel the sting as well when it goes in and afterwards! This is the worst case one!

So they are the 4 methods! I think I prefer the slow dart player though sometimes the fast dart player is ok cos it’s over quicker! Bad side – there’s no way of stopping it stinging afterwards completely and some days it just stings more than others!!! I have an ice pack which I rub over it to help afterwards! Lol you can see how much I’ve thought about this stuff can’t you!!! Sorry to bore you all with that!!! I could give myself these injections but I still can’t bring myself to do it though it would be a fantastic barrier to say I’d overcome it!!! I tend to just pull on my injection face and grin and bare it now tho!!!

So that’s my injection story to gross you all out with! Apart from that I watched coronation street and the England Game which I thought was ok, second half better than the first and Bentley looked good. Pity Owen didn’t play though. I spoke to Hannah and Becky which was fine and good fun and also my hospital phone rang which I got very excited about! And it was a woman from Clic Sergeant who is coming to see me tomorrow about counselling services and also they may provide me with some money so that’s all good!!!

My symptoms are about the same, breathing not great and on oxygen as and when, back pain is easing though I get odd twinges. Oramorph is always at the ready!! My bruise on my old hickman line site is a cracker! I’ve never seen anything like it! I mean it!!!

I’ve decorated my room with some Liverpool stuff and some photos etc so that’s all good, may as well make myself feel at home hey!!! Still feeling ok about everything and thanks for all the supportive texts and messages and everything – still all appreciated! I’m trying to upload some photos on facebook but the internet is taking ages so I dunno if it will work or not!

The days here are ok, they go quicker than you’d think! Sometimes the morning drag before mum and dad get here but to honest even then its not so bad, there’s someone comes in to make your bed and you can doze off if you want so there’s always something really!!! Plus Jeremy Kyle helps for an hour in the morning! I found some quotes form first year today, one from Mand that made me laugh saying ‘Hell there’s so many ho’s out there, if I was a guy I’d f*** them!’ hilarious! And also Soph send me the ‘Needs Special’ quote in a text! So funny! Thanks for those guys – they really made me laugh! And Amar when he said ‘Bitch I ain’t your baby’s daddy!’ I found that one too!

I think that’s me done for the night anyway so I’m gonna head off now! Night night everyone xxx

1 comment:

Hayley said...

I think I do the clexane the ‘Slow Dart Player’ way lol. My belly is full of bruises, looks like I've been beaten up! Although the biggest bruise is from the first ever one I had and the other bruises are just little round ones. I'm meant to do them alternate sides every day but I always forget which side I did the day before LOL I was a bit weirded out about doing it myself but now I don't even think about it, it seems to be a bit tough to actually get it to break the skin though, maybe it's cos I've got a fat belly haha.

I was going to say something else...hmm...oh the steroids. Totally know what you mean about eating everything, when I was in the Hospital over Christmas I was REALLY craving roast potatoes so I made my Mum go home and cook me some and bring them to me lmao. They were sooooo good.
I'm hungry now lol. Also, I noticed I crave carbs when I'm on steroids and very rarely sweet stuff and my taste for chocolate goes too!

Anyway...I should go to bed really. I've chatted enough!

Night night xxx