Tuesday 22 January 2008

Numbing Cream.....a new revelation!

Well its been a verrrrrry long day! Left here at 8.15 and got to Notts at 9.20, arrived home tonight about half 6 – 7 o clock. We thought it was just gonna be a simple blood test today and checking counts but turns out my white cell count was 22 and they start checking for stem cells when its above 1! So mine was well high enough. Anyway I was producing stem cells and they put me on the machine! It was all connected through my line and off we went. Thats me on the machine.

However every few minutes it was ‘pinging’ and basically my line wasn’t bleeding enough and at a fast enough rate. After a coupla of hours we had to say ok it’s not happening and the possibility of a needle was talked about. You know my fear about needles!! But I agreed to let them try and they put this numbing cream on my arms and I have to say it was the least painful needle I’ve ever had though according to my dad it was probably the biggest! Anyway once it was in things went really smoothly and I circulated the 12, 000 litres required. Although I did finish a little later than planned! I was on the thing for like 5 and a half hours as opposed to the usual 4!!

I didn’t feel too crappy today sat in hospital, I did when I woke up cos I was so tired but once I was there I just sort of got on with it today! I was given this little cuddly toy blood drop to squeeze to help my veins, it was called Billy blood drop! Lol, and I watched Pretty Woman on the dvd player they gave me so it wasn’t all bad! Thats my lovely needle! not nice is it!!

I was pretty proud of myself with the needle, I just hope if I need one tomorrow it goes as smoothly! Or even better my line works!!! Please please please!!!!

All the nurses were really nice as usual and I spoke to Faith about my heart thing, they aren’t too worried but they are giving me a scan on Monday to double check everything. They think it was probably a reaction to the blood so that’s ok. Feel a little better about it now and I asked all my questions. I didn’t get to see the psychologist today as I had to stay in Notts but we are making a new appointment.

I’m gonna get an early night tonight cos I am shattered and hopefully everything will go ok tomorrow but its really good they’ve made a start on getting stem cells so yey me!!

xx

No comments: