Wednesday 16 January 2008

Fertility and Chemotherapy

When I first started chemotherapy I was told my ability to have children could be affected but that it was a maybe. I didn't think too much about it. I was too worried about me!! Since then I’ve had more intensive chemo which is very likely to have destroyed my chances of having children, if I get the bone marrow transplant that will almost certainly mean I will never be a mum. Well not in the natural way anyway! Even if i just had the Stem Cell Transplant it will almost certainly destroy any chances of me having children as well.

It’s something I wanted to put on here but I haven’t given it too much thought. It’s a huge deal and it’s upsetting and sometimes you think ‘one day when I have kids’ but then I realize ‘oh actually…’ and that’s when it hits you, how much this cancer changes your life. I haven’t thought about it too much because I have to get me right first before I can think about that!

Maybe I’ll be able to adopt or foster, that’s how I look at it, in a positive way but it is sad that I’ll probably never have children of my own. I guess it’s a price I will have to pay but if I can get right then I will be ok with that.


I had the option of freezing my eggs but it was too risky to delay treatment and unless you freeze embryos, the chances of getting a result are minimal. Its much easier if you have a partner or if you’re a guy! Lol but it wasn’t to be I guess….
When I was at the football I saw this little baby and I thought ‘ahhh bless’ and it kinda hit me then too…but I guess it will every now and again…it’s just how it is now.


Anyway that’s all I wanted to say on that really….I’ve just never really spoke about it before so….

2 comments:

Hayley said...

It's weird how some of this stuff you're writing feels like I'm writing myself.
I was given the chance to freeze my eggs but I didn't want to delay my treatment so I chose not to. I didn't really think about it and it didn't bother me at first but lately it's been bothering me a bit.
For example, when someone says "You'll know when you have kids" and I'm like 'i might not' and I think how crappy that is cos I've always wanted a child.
BUT I just keep remembering, there's still a little chance we can have children naturally and if not, there are other ways of becoming a parent these days. (It's hard though, I know)
Anyway...I'm off to keep reading!

Mo said...

Hi Mel

I know this post is from a while ago but i just came across it. I hope that you're hanging in ok. I had hodgkin's back in 1999 and remember the fears about losing my fertility. just remember that there are many different ways to have a family. if you want a child in the future, you can have that dream. I'm hoing my chemo didn't rule out my chances. my husband and i are currently pursuing ivf.

anyway, my heart goes out to you. you're in my thoughts.

lifeandloveinthepetridish.blogspot.com