Sunday 2 March 2008

Hospital again but not for long!

Well I planned to have a nice relaxing day today with no stress and a nice turkey dinner and some football but as usual things didn't quite go to plan.

I woke up this morning with what I thought was a mild aching leg, however within a few hours it was excrutiating pain and I was screaming in agony. It felt like someone had twisted my entire knee around. It was in both legs but the right one was far far worse. Anyway we rang the hospital and they said to get over there so they could check it out. We did so, driving at over 100mph down the motorway with me screaming in agony. We were seen more or less straight away by the doctor and immediatley were reassured. Apparently because I haven't used my legs for so long and now am starting to again it was muscular related, it was just spasms letting me know basically that I am starting to use my muscles again and the reason my right leg was worse is becasue that is my dominant side, like when I go up the stairs thats the leg I put weight on first. I was told told to take codeine and paracetomal regularly to keep it at bay. That has worked most of the day although I can feel it at the moment. It was more scary not knowing what it was, we were thinking it could be a blood clot, something to do with my line or anything!! But it was reassuring hearing from the doctors it was nothing serious. So within an hour we were driving home, this time, me not screaming in agony!

We did get our turkey dinner, just much later than expected! Other than that my nan and aunty visited as did my friends from school which was nice and I did get to see the football so that was all ok!

Apart from that I feel ok, bit stronger though my legs are a bit weak today after the pain! I'm still incredibly weak but I am improving. I am also pretty tired but I think thats cos of the drama of the morning! I hope you all took note of the fundraising issues I raised yesterday, I won't repeat the links but they are at the side of the page should you wish to access them.

The other thing I ask you to join is the facebook group that I will put the link up too - if you are indeed on facebook - which highlights the lack of financial support students with cancer recieve. If you read my dads blog you will understand our issues regarding finaincial support. Basically becasue I am still officially a student event though I am on leave of absense I don't qualify for any benefits and therefore had no income. I didn't take out my loan as I'm not studying and a loan is to support your education, plus why should I become another £3000-4000 in debt while I am recovering from a serious illness??!!! We applied for income support and were rejected, we then appealed and were rejected again on the grounds that 'I am a student.' I didn't qualify for incapacity benefit until 6 months after being diagnosed so I will only start recieving that this month. We applied for Disabled Living Allowance and were granted that but again only started recieveing it this month. The only reason I qualify for that is because of the nature of my symptoms, the fact that I need help to have a wash and I need a wheelchair. Other students woulnd't neccesarily qualify for this, if they had cancer and had no breathing problems or didn't need as much care they would not qualify and so would recive nothing at all! I am a 20 year old adult so technically could be living alone without my parents, how would I have survived? I have been totally reliant on my parents for money, I haven't had anything. We have contacted our local MP who conatced a minister in London whose advice was to take out my loan to live on. Again ridiculous advice. He has since refused to meet with my dad to discuss the issue but will only meet with our local MP. It has been an absolute Joke.

The link to the facebook group to join is as follows: It was set up by a guy in a similar position whose univeristy refused to refund his fees when he was diagnosed with cancer but the principles involved are the same.

http://aston.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5058544181

But really all you need to do is sign this petition - if you go to this page and sign this petition it would really really help:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ProtectStudents/

Thats it for today!

Thanks for reading.

Mel xx

No comments: